There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
The Monkey Man of Delhi
| Part of RationalWiki's|
Cryptid Petting Zoo
|Hiding with Schrödinger's cat|
The first reports came in May 2001 and throughout the month dozens of people reported seeing, or being attacked by, a creature approximately 4 feet tall and covered with thick black hair. Some witness said that the creature had a metal helmet, metal claws, glowing red eyes, and three buttons on its chest. Some suggest that the Monkey Man could make itself invisible and leap from building to building in single bounds.
Monkey Man cases
- On May 13th 2001, 15 people reported to hospital with bites and scratch marks from an unknown creature.
- A pregnant woman woke to screams by her neighbors that “The Monkey Man is here!” on the 15th May. The woman died after falling down a flight of stairs.
- On the same night a four-foot-tall Hindu mystic was mistaken for the Monkey Man and beaten by an angry crowd.
- A van driver was set upon on May 18th in a second case of mistaken identity.
- The Monkey Man, no stranger to contemporary music, was spotted at concert on 21st May where it attacked a band member.
- Further sightings were received from Kanpur in early 2002. A witness described a monkey-like machine that sparkled red and blue lights.
As many as three people were killed, after jumping from high buildings to escape the Monkey Man, before the panic wound down. The mysterious shaggy creature was last seen on an Aeroflot flight from Delhi to Moscow in June 2001, where it had to be restrained.