There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Style over substance|
Schmicker claims to be a nationally-known writer on "anomalies" and the paranormal. He is a member of the crank Journal of Scientific Exploration and discussed his woo beliefs on Coast to Coast AM. He has said that psi has been scientifically proven in an interview with Alex Tsakiris.
In his book Best Evidence he has written that there is scientific evidence for all kinds of debunked woo topics such as ectoplasm, poltergeists, psychokinesis, and reincarnation. He ignores most of the skeptical literature on the paranormal and takes anecdotal evidence at face value. Schmicker has admitted after his research that he believes 98% of alleged paranormal phenomena turn out to have a naturalistic explanation but the remaining 2% has real scientific evidence for the paranormal.
- Best Evidence: An Investigative Reporter's Three-Year Quest to Uncover the Best Scientific Evidence for ESP, Psychokinesis, Mental Healing, Ghosts and Poltergeists, Dowsing, Mediums, Near Death Experiences, Reincarnation, and Other Impossible Phenomena That Refuse to Disappear (2002)
- The Gift: ESP, the Extraordinary Experiences of Ordinary People (2002)
- The Universe Wants to Play: The Anomalist 12: A Nonfiction Anthology (2006)
- The Listener (2010)