There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2020.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
Mary Lou Bruner
| Guide to:|
|Hail to the Chief?|
|Persons of interest|
“”I think she’ll be a great asset
Mary Lou Bruner, commonly described as the "looniest politician in Texas" (a state not exactly known for its sane politicians) and by definition likely the entire United States, is a far-right Texan Republican and former schoolteacher, as well as a creationist, homophobe, Islamophobe, birther, conspiracy theorist and Confederate apologist whose batshit crazy views and opinions created controversy in 2016 when she decided to run for the Republican nomination for an East Texas seat on the Texas Board of Education.
Why the controversy?
Really? Where do we even begin?
- Bruner is an avowed creationist, believing that school shootings are the direct result of the teaching of evolution. She has expressed belief in a batshit insane conspiracy theory that scientists have found proof of a young earth, yet are colluding to cover up the evidence (for some reason).
- Bruner is also a climate change denier, calling climate change a "ridiculous hoax"' and believing that the global warming narrative is truly a veil for the advancement of Communism in America, even stating that it is a plot started by Karl Marx himself!
Remember she is running for the board of education.
- Bruner believes in a pseudo-historical theory bordering on self-parody: that the American Civil War was truly about the railroad(!), instead of slavery. Perhaps she misunderstood references to the Underground Railroad.
- Bruner believes the Democratic Party was responsible for the assassination of John F. Kennedy as they preferred "socialist" Lyndon B. Johnson over "conservative" John F. Kennedy.
Board of education anyone?
- Bruner believes pre-kindergarten education is a plot by the "GLBTQ [sic] agenda" to indoctrinate children into homosexuality.
- Bruner believes the content of Texan state school textbooks is dictated by "Middle-Eastern" countries.
- Did we mention she ran for the board of education?
- Fortunately, she lost her race.
By far her most infamous claim is her groundless conspiracy theory that Barack Obama's support for gay rights is due to him working as a male prostitute in his early twenties in order to pay for drugs.
- Lou Dubose, "Obama has a soft spot for homosexuals because of the years he spent as a male prostitute in his twenties": Meet the looniest politician in Texas (and that’s saying something), Salon.com
- Christopher Connelly, Texas Education Board Candidate Who Called Obama A Gay Prostitute Won't Back Down, Kera News
- Valerie Strauss, Leading Texas education board candidate: Obama was gay prostitute, Democrats killed JFK, The Washington Post
- Zack Kopplin, Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Could Change America’s Textbooks, The Daily Beast
- Curious candidate: The Texas Board of Education needs serious representatives, not bomb throwers., Houston Chronicle
- Laura Moser, The Extremist Likely Headed to Texas’ Influential School Board Thinks Pre-K Is Pro-Gay Propaganda, Slate
- Patrick Michels, Texas’ Most Notable Creationist Says Mary Lou Bruner Will Be a ‘Great Asset’ to Ed Board, Observer