There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2020.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Part of the series on|
Logic and rhetoric
“”If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
A golden hammer is
the luxury version of Maxwell's silver hammer a logical fallacy that occurs when you propose the same, simple solution (or type of solution) to every problem.
- Baruch's Observation
- Maslow's hammer
- Kaplan's hammer
- Birmingham screwdriver
- Law of the hammer
- Law of the instrument
- Persimplex responsum
- "Cookie cutter solution" is the management speak version.
The name comes from Abraham Maslow's 1966 statement:
“”I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail.
An earlier (yet less famous) quote comes from Abraham Kaplan's 1964 statement:
“”I call it the law of the instrument, and it may be formulated as follows: Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding.
Essentially, not everything is a nail; no solution can fix every problem. There's always the possibility that we just haven't built a big enough hammer yet, though. But not for lack of trying.
- Every panacea
- Goddidit and variants
- Some flavors of libertarians view free market economics this way.
- Conversely, many communists treat the prospect of a planned economy with the same overconfidence.
- The item first from Wrecking Crew, more often known from Super Smash Bros.. It can inflict serious damage, but some are defects that squeak on contact. Golden Hammers can break some challenges, though only limited times.
- Enoch's Hammer of the Luddites
- Hanlon's razor
- Occam's razor
- Thor, wielder of the hammer that protected humanity