| Frogs and swastikas|
“”Free Speech For Everyone
On the bright side, as of 2018, it only has 310,000 registered user accounts.
Because of its content, Gab.ai has been banned from outlets such as Apple and Twitter. The former banned the website due to its pornographic content while the latter blocked the website for its feature that shares Gab.ai posts on Twitter. Unsurprisingly, Google Play also banned the website on August 18, 2017, due to it violating Play's hate speech policy. In response, Gab.ai sued Google for violating antitrust laws.
On September 5, 2017, Gab.ai was forced to censor a post that was deemed offensive by Instra Corporation in 48 hours. One day later the company got embroiled in another censorship controversy when domain company AsiaRegistry demanded that Andrew Anglin's offensive post about Heather Heyer's killing at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia be removed and the company complied by removing his post.
On October 27, 2018, Robert Bowers, a crazed anti-semite, killed 11 people in a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania synagogue called the Tree of Life. The suspect was found to be an active user of Gab, and used the platform as an echo chamber for "racist, anti-Semitic and bigoted ideology." Bowers blamed Jews for bringing in Central American migrants into the United States claiming "HIAS [Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society] likes to bring invaders that kill our people. I can't sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I'm going in" and "Why Hello there HIAS! You like to bring hostile invaders to dwell among us? We appreciate the list of friends you have provided", believed that there was a white genocide stating "Daily Reminder: Diversity means chasing down the last white person", featured the neo-Nazi catchphrase 1488 on his profile at least two times (on his account picture and the other in a post titled "Make Ovens 1488 F Again"), and reposted other anti-Semitic, neo-Nazi, and Holocaust denial/Holocaust-related content from other users such as Patrick Little and Daily Stormer writer "Grandpa Lampshade". Shortly thereafter, Paypal suspended Gab from their service, and Gab's hosting provider gave them the boot.
- PewTube, a failed "free speech", alt-right alternative to YouTube, rife with the same type of content as Gab
- 8chan, another example of what normally happens when you don't set speech limits.
- Feeling Sidelined By Mainstream Social Media, Far-Right Users Jump To Gab by Alina Selyukh (May 21, 2017 at 6:46 AM ET) All Tech Considered: NPR.
- Campbell Robertson, Christopher Mele and Sabrina Tavernise, 11 Killed in Pittsburgh Synagogue Massacre; Suspect Charged With 29 Counts. The New York Times, 27 October 2018.
- Robert Bowers · @onedingo Gab (archived from 27 Oct 2018 15:30:05 UTC).
- What's Gab, the social platform used by the Pittsburgh shooting suspect? CNN, 27 October 2018.
- Andrew Liptak, Paypal bans Gab following Pittsburgh shooting. The Verge, 27 October 2018.
- Gab.com on Twitter, 27 October 2018.
Gab’s new hosting provider, has just pulled our hosting service. They have given us until 9am on Monday to find a solution. Gab will likely be down for weeks because of this.
- Alan Pyke, Gab, the hate-breeding social network Robert Bowers used, is going dark for now. Think Progress, 28 October 2018.