- Were you looking for Hell? Pretty much the same thing, though.
Oh, there's nothing halfway about the Iowa way to treat you (when we treat you, which we may not do at all.) There's an Iowa kind of special "chip-on-the-shoulder" attitude we've never been without, that we recall.
“”Is this heaven?
No, it's Iowa.
|—Field of Dreams|
This is a head-scratcher, since nobody from Iowa actually wants to be associated with the place. They either get out or want you to think they got out. As the immortal Johnny Cash (who was actually from Arkansas) once sang, "Got trapped by a girl but I wiggled free." Good move, that.
- Country/CB radio singer C.W. McCall is from Iowa, although he wanted you to believe he was from Colorado.
- Captain Kirk, who went all the way to outer space to escape Iowa (though William Shatner is from Canada)
- William "Buffalo Bill" Cody, who is better known for having a Wyoming town and an upstate New York football team named after him. So he's actually from Iowa? Who woulda thunk?
- Radar O'Reilly (but Gary Burghoff is from Connecticut)
- John Wayne (just don't mention the name Marion)
- Michelle Bachmann, who seems to share a lot of the wonderful qualities of Joni Ernst.
- Steve King: The right-wing noise factory is spreading KKK culture to the north. And the dipshits who swallow it think this is conservative culture. Sadly, he's never going to get voted out. He represents the largest trailer park in the Midwest (also known as Sioux City).
- John Wayne Gacy. He was actually born in Illinois and only lived in Iowa for 4-5 years.
- Slipknot, a heavy metal band that, for some strange reason, has 9 members.
- Clair Patterson, who isn't actually that famous at all, but should be.
- Bill Bryson, the hilarious writer who can inject humor into everything (and we do mean everything), is from Des Moines.
Iowa is the third state in the Union (and the first
flyover interior state) to adopt full marriage equality when its Supreme Court unanimously struck down a ban on same-sex marriage on April 3, 2009, provoking a recall of several of its Justices. Despite popular belief, Iowa is actually a moderate state, having voted 6 out of 7 times as a Democratic state from 1988-2012. Iowa also has one Republican (Joni Ernst) and one occasionally sane Republican (Chuck Grassley) in the Senate, and an almost-even (3 D, 1 R) split in the House of Representatives (in 2018 Democrats flipped 2 of the state's House seats but still narrowly failed to defeat Steve King). For reasons yet unknown, it suffers barbarian invasions like clockwork every four years.
The zeroth rule of being a politician in Iowa is do not say anything that could possibly be construed as disrespecting farmers. This goes without saying, which is why it comes before the first rule. Braley's implosion was so bad, you can bet it cost the "downticket" Dems at least a district or two, as well. He was a shoo-in for senator because he was popular in his district and Joni Ernst was far to the right. If he had merely been mediocre he would have won. It's a wonder how he was ever elected to anything.
- Iowa is moderate, mmkay?
- 2018 Iowa Election Results
- Colin Campbell and Hunter Walker, "Republicans Have Taken Over The Senate With Victory In Iowa", Business Insider (11/4/14, 11:32 PM).
- Suing a chicken? Not very Iowa.
|Articles about States of the United States|
|Northeastern United States states:||Connecticut • Delaware • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New York • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • Vermont •|
|Southern United States states:||Alabama • Arkansas • Florida • Georgia (U.S. state) • Kentucky • Louisiana • Mississippi • North Carolina • Oklahoma • South Carolina • Tennessee • Texas • Virginia • West Virginia •|
|Midwestern United States states:||Illinois • Indiana • Kansas • Michigan • Minnesota • Missouri • Nebraska • North Dakota • Ohio • South Dakota • Wisconsin •|
|Western United States states:||Alaska • Arizona • California • Colorado • Hawaii • Idaho • Montana • Nevada • New Mexico • Oregon • Utah • Washington • Wyoming •|
|United States territories:||Puerto Rico • Washington, D.C. •|
|Other:||Bible Belt • Jesusland • Weird states •|