There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| The woo is out there|
|Aliens did it...|
|... and ran away|
| Fiction over fact|
|How it didn't happen|
“”How would it be if we discovered that aliens only stopped by earth to let their kids take a leak?
Ancient assha- *ahem* astronauts are aliens purported to have come to Earth thousands of years ago. Some claim that these aliens form the basis for the mythological gods of ancient cultures. Others suggest that we are descendants of these aliens. A few claim that they came, placed random pieces of architecture in random spots, and left, i.e. that structures made of stone such as the pyramids at Giza, Stonehenge, and the Nazca lines were made by a civilization advanced enough to achieve space travel, yet for some reason preferred to use local materials and, apparently, locally available tools such as copper chisels.
If someone presents these arguments to you, they may or may not be persuaded by sensible, rational explanations. While many are simply too firmly set in their cognitive dissonance to budge, some of them can have their minds changed pointing out the gaping holes in the argument. While one's initial instinct is to brush them off as loons, bear in mind that this nonsense has been given an air of legitimacy thanks to garbage on the History Channel masquerading as real science. Try talking about it in a non-attacking way, and being patient. If they still cannot be budged (or accuse you of being one of the "sheeple"), then your efforts are better spent elsewhere.
The main result of the ancient astronauts' influence in the late 20th and early 21st centuries has been to enrichify sundry con artists, cynical authors and loonies (von Däniken, Scientology) and provide fodder for really stupid shows on the US basic cable History Channel.
Any obscure and/or exotic (at least to the average Westerner) piece of archaeology, history or mythology has been used as evidence for ancient extraterrestrial visitation at some time or other. (Impressive ancient ruins? Aliensdidit! Descriptions of gods or demons coming from the sky? Aliens!) A non-exhaustive list:
- The Giza pyramids and the Sphinx
- Pyramids in general
- Stonehenge and other megalithic monuments in general
- The Nazca lines
- The purported astronomical knowledge of the Dogon people
- Mohenjo-daro, a ruined city cited as evidence of ancient nuclear war
The quest for oddities has its fun moments, such as the carving of an astronaut in the decorations of the New Cathedral in Salamanca (in Spain). The Cathedral was built between the 16th and 18th centuries, but the figure itself was carved by a playful restorator in 1992.
It's hardly ever white cultures who get science and technology from aliens
- Ancient Aliens
- Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
- Tower of Babel, depending on interpretation
- Peter Kolosimo
- Erich von Däniken
- Giorgio A. Tsoukalos
- Zecharia Sitchin
- Lloyd Pye
- Scientology (not proponents per se, publicly they say they have nothing to do with it. Once you pay them lots of $$$ then you find out about Xenu and aliens being on Earth first)
- Maximillien de Lafayette
- Robert Temple
- Mike Bara
- Courtney Brown
- A Spanish Mystery, Snopes.com
- http://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/01/02/close-encounters-racist-kind Close encounters of the racist kind
- http://theconversation.com/racism-is-behind-outlandish-theories-about-africas-ancient-architecture-83898 Racism is behind outlandish theories about Africa’s ancient architecture
- http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/how-to-fake-an-alien-mummy/535251/ The Racism Behind Alien Mummy Hoaxes